The Ultimate Spag Bol5 minutes 4-6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped (no seeds)
- 500g minced beef
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (you could use plum tomatoes - just break them up)
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or dried mixed herbs)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Enough (cooked) spaghetti for everyone
- Grated parmesan - to serve (or cheese of your choice)
- 1. Heat the oil in a large non stick pan and then sauté the garlic, onion and celery for about three minutes on a medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the red pepper and cook for a further minute or two, before adding the minced beef. Break it down with a wooden spoon and brown off for about five minutes, stirring.
- 3. Add the carrot, tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, sugar and salt and continue to cook on a medium heat for the next 20 minutes or so, continuing to break up the mince from time to time. Start thinking about cooking up your spaghetti (see TIPS below!)
- 4. Serve immediately, or cool down and then freeze (you can defrost in the fridge and then re-heat in a large pan).
Tips and Tweaks
- Season the spaghetti! Do as the Italians do and add a good pinch of salt to the pasta as it cooks, along with a glug of oil (this will help stop it from sticking)
- Heat it up! By adding a chopped (fresh) chilli at stage one (with the onion etc) or a teaspoon (or two) of dried chilli powder at stage three.
- Posh it up! By adding a small glass of red wine at stage three. And / or a couple of chopped bacon rashers at stage one (with the onion etc).
- Make it veggie! This is a lovely sauce minus the meat. You could add 100g or so of dried red lentils at stage three and cook until tender…