Surprise Valentines CookiesMakes approx 25
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I used good quality milk chocolate)
- 100g walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 140°C/Fan 120°C/Gas Mark 1. Cover 2-3 large baking trays with foil – or lightly grease them / use baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt with a stand/electric whisk (or strong arms!) for approx two minutes, starting slowly and building up the speed. You'll see it get white and frothy.
- The egg whites will start to look less frothy and more like a billow of white snow - the 'soft peaks' stage. At this point, put the speed up even faster and slowly pour in the caster sugar until you get firmer meringue 'peaks'.
- Stop whisking and gently fold through the chocolate and walnuts. Dollop teaspoons (no bigger) of the mixture onto the trays – spaced out.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 140°C. Then reduce the heat down to 100°C/Fan 90°C/Gas Mark 1/4 and continue baking for 1 hour 15 minutes. Finally leave in the (turned-off) oven either overnight – or for a further 30 minutes - 1 hour.
Tips and Tweaks
- Reveal the cookies as a sweet surprise by asking your Valentine to open the (turned-off) oven…!
- TIP: You can also pre-heat the oven (thoroughly) to 180C and place the cookies in the oven – as soon as you do you then *immediately* turn off the oven and leave the cookies overnight….