One Bowl Chocolate Cake20 minutes
- 400g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 65g best quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200ml boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour two 23cm round cake tins. Or prepare cupcake cases if this is what you prefer.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Cake mixture will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared tins or cases.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a skewer. Cool in the tins/ cases for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips and Tweaks
- Put chocolate icing in the middle and serve warm - delicious!!!
- Make in a large, square, shallow roasting tray. When cooled cut it up into brownie size chunks for a party.
- Add chocolate fudge icing and a layer of black cherry jam in the middle.