Macaroni SqueezePreparation time: approx 5-10 minutes (plus 45 minutes additional cook time) Cook time: approx 10 minutes 4
- 1 medium butternut squash – weighing approx 500g
- 350g dried macaroni / pasta shapes
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter
- 400ml milk (cold from the fridge)
- 200g Red Leicester cheese, grated – or cheese of your choice
- 1 crust bread
- 1 tomato
- YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- A casserole dish
- And a food processor to make life easier :)
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and place the squash (whole and unpeeled) on a baking tray and bake for approx 45 minutes – or until a sharp knife goes through the thinner end easily. Leave to cool and then slice lengthways and scoop out approx 200g of the inner orange flesh, no skin or seeds. Then either mash it down or (easier) blend until it’s a smooth puree.
- 2. Get the pasta cooking. Meanwhile place the flour, butter and milk in a large non-stick saucepan and on a medium heat keep whisking-whisking-whisking until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- 3. Add most of the cheese and all of the squash and stir through. (At this point you could also add other veg, cooked meat, or fish.
- 4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it off and add to the pan, stirring through. Then transfer to the casserole dish, topping with a little extra cheese. Rip up small pieces of the bread to use as a crispy topping along with slices of tomato. Brown off in the oven for approx 10 minutes. Serve with a crisp green salad.
Tips and Tweaks
- BLING IT UP!
- By adding cooked, chopped ham or bacon to the sauce.