Macaroni CheesePrep15 minutes - Cooking -30 minutes 4
- 300g Co-operative macaroni pasta tubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 30g unsalted butter
- 25g plain flour
- 250ml semi skimmed milk
- 125g Co-operative lighter mature cheese, grated
- 250ml half fat crème fraîche
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Place the macaroni in a large pan of boiling water and cook following the pack instructions. Drain, reserving 75ml of the cooking water. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and soften the leeks for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt 20g of butter in the pan, then sprinkle over the flour and mix into a firm paste. Cook for a minute then gradually add the milk, constantly stirring then whisking until you have a smooth sauce. Add the cheese, crème fraîche, reserved pasta water, mustard powder and nutmeg. Whisk again until smooth, with a little black pepper.
- Take off the heat and stir through the pasta and leeks. Spoon into a 2-litre baking dish. Preheat the grill to high.
- Melt the remaining butter and stir it into the breadcrumbs. Scatter evenly over the macaroni cheese, lay the tomatoes cut-side up and press them in slightly. Top with the Parmesan and grill for 10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.
Tips and Tweaks
- Serve with green salad