Lemon MeringuePrep: 15 mins / Cook: 25 / Cooling: 45 12
- 150g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 150g Caster sugar
- 150g Melted Butter
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Eggs (medium)
- 6 tsp Lemon Curd
- 2 Eggs (medium) - For Icing
- 100g Caster Sugar - For Icing
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl, saving some of the flour for later.
- 2. Add the margarine and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- 3. Add the egg and mix in before adding the rest of the flour in stages. This will dry the mixture slighty.
- 4. Add the juice of 1 lemon into the mix to loosen it up a bit.
- 5. Zest the other lemon and add that to the mixture.
- 6. Put into 12 cupcake cases and place in the oven for roughly 20 minutes until slightly golden.
- 7. Whilst waiting for them to cool, whisk 2 egg whites until fluffly.
- 8. Then add the caster sugar to the mixture until you get a 'soft peak' effect when the whisk is ran through it.
- 9.Cut out a small cone shape from the centre of each cupcake and add roughly 1/2 tsp of lemon curd.
- 10. Replace the cone on top of the lemon curd and cover the top our your cupcake with the meringue mixture you have just made.
- 11. Finally place in the oven or under the grill for between 4-6 minutes until slightly golden.
Tips and Tweaks
- Ice-Cream Scoops are perfect for scooping cake mixture into the cases!