Lemon Meringue CupcakesPreperation Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes 12
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb of soda
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g melted / softened unsalted butter – or margarine
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons (unwaxed)
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 6 tsp lemon curd
- For the icing:
- 2 (medium) egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- YOU WILL ALSO NEED:
- Something with which to zest the lemons (the small grater on your box grater?)
- A muffin tin.
- Paper muffin cases.
- An electric whisk (to make life easier!)
- An icing nozzle if you prefer a professionally iced look
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Place 12 paper cupcake cases in a muffin tray.
- 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda.
- 3. In another bowl combine the 150g sugar and butter / marg – until smooth and creamy. Add a tablespoon of the flour mix and then the juice and zest – stir through – then the eggs.
- 4. Add half the flour mix, stirring gently but firmly – don’t beat it! Add the other half and repeat.
- 5. Divide equally between the paper cases and bake for 18-20 mins until just golden and they spring back to the touch.
- 6. Leave in their muffin tray on top of the oven until fully cooled.
- 7. Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut down a ‘cone’ shape out of the cakes. Don’t cut as far as the bottom. Add approx ½ tsp lemon curd inside each cake and then replace the shape you’ve just cut out.
- 8. Pre-heat the grill to high. Using a hand whisk or food processor with a whisk attachment (or your hand and lots of strength!), whisk the egg whites for about 2 minutes, building up the speed, until it looks like soft snow. Then slowly add the additional 100g sugar.
- 9. Use this mix to ice the cupcakes – either with a spoon – or use an icing nozzle. Finally place all 12 under the grill just so they go a little golden in places. Serve immediately – or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.