Christmas Tree GingerbreadPreparation time 40 minutes Cooking time 10 minutes 10
- 340g plain flour
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 190g golden syrup or black treacle
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4oz softened butter/margarine
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C
- In a bowl, beat together the sugar and butter/marg using electric beaters until light and creamy.
- Add the golden syrup or treacle and sift in the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix until a rough crumb begins to form then work the mixture into a smooth dough using your hands.
- Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes or so, until firm.
- Then, roll out the dough between two sheets of cling film/baking parchment - not a floured surface! - until 4mm (quarter-inch) thick.
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter of choice, or roll out small balls and flatten slightly onto a non-stick baking sheet or baking tray lined with parchment paper. They won't spread a great deal, but be careful not to pack them too tightly onto the sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on trays for a minute or two before removing to cool completely on wire racks.
- If you wish to ice your cookies, mix up a small quantity of icing using 1 egg white and 2oz icing sugar.
Tips and Tweaks
- You couuld add 1tsp mixed spice
- Heat the syrup in the microwave to make it pour more easily out of the jug, so will need a bit longer to cool.