Christmas Mince PiesCooking time 20 mins 12
- 350g (12 oz) high-quality mincemeat
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125g (4½ oz) unsalted butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- milk, to glaze
- Lightly butter a 12-case patty tin. Tip the mincemeat into a bowl and stir so that the liquid is evenly distributed.
- Place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and process briefly until resembling breadcrumbs, then slowly add the egg through the feeder tube (or rub the butter into the dry ingredients by hand and stir in the egg). Add pinch of salt. Add water if required.
- Bring the mixture together with your hands, wrap in cling film and chill for an hour. Thinly roll out the pastry onto a floured surface. Cut out 12 circles with a fluted pastry cutter, large enough to fill the cases in the patty tin. Press gently into each case, then fill evenly with the mincemeat.
- Cut out another 12 slightly smaller circles and use to cover the mincemeat. Press the edges together with the end of a fork to seal. Make a small slit in the top of each, then brush lightly with milk. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- While chilling, preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas Mark 6. Bake the pies for 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm. Enjoy!
Tips and Tweaks
- Do not over fill or the mincemeat will spill out !
- Add a zest of tangerine to pastry (optional)
- A spot brandy can be added to the mincemeat for the adults only.