Cheats RisottoPreparation time 5 minutes Cooking time 30 minutes 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion – chopped
- Approx 150g broccoli – cut into tiny florets
- 300g risotto rice (arborio etc) – ensure it’s plain, not pre-flavoured
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 150g frozen peas
- 150g garlic and herb cream cheese (or use plain cream cheese)
- Juice of half a lime / lemon – optional
- 50g grated parmesan cheese – optional
- A couple of Spring onions - optional
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. In a frying pan, heat the oil and butter before adding the onion and broccoli and sautéing for a couple of minutes.
- 2. Add the rice and sauté for another minute or so (it will feel dry – don’t panic).
- 3. Place it all into a casserole dish and pour over the stock. Carefully place in the oven for 30 minutes – but set the timer for 15 so you can stir it half way!!
- 4. Now add the peas and cheese and stir through (the residual heat will cook the peas after a couple of minutes – or you can place back in the oven if you’d prefer). Add any juice, extra cheese, and seasoning to taste. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
Tips and Tweaks
- BLING IT UP… by adding fresh mint leaves (chopped) at the end
- SWITCH IT ROUND…. by using goats cheese, not cream cheese…(this is my favourite!)