Butter Chicken6 hours 30mins cooking - 30 minutes preparing Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized piece
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 teaspoons tandoori masala
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 175g tomato puree
- 15 green cardamom pods
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk
- 200g natural yoghurt
- salt to taste
- Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the chicken, onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, curry paste, tandoori masala, garam masala and tomato puree until no lumps of tomato puree remain. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the cardamom pods, coconut milk and yoghurt. Season to taste with salt.
- Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency. Remove and discard the cardamom pods before serving.
Tips and Tweaks
- Chicken breast can be used instead of the thighs.
- Add some chilli for an additional kick.
- Can be down in conventional oven for 3 hours on low temp.
- Vegetables can be added if required.
- Serves with basmati rice & naan bread or chapatis.