Apple Crumble Muffins – with a guilt-free secret
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb of soda
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon / nutmeg (optional)
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 apples, finely chopped (skin on is fine)
- 100g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 100g low fat plain yoghurt
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- For the crumble mix:
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon / nutmeg – optional
- 50g butter
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6. Line two muffin tins with paper cases. Combine the first four crumble mix ingredients in a bowl then rub in the butter. Set aside.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the first four muffin ingredients, then add the sugar, apple, and walnuts. Gently stir with a metal spoon.
- 3. In a bowl whisk together the egg and egg whites then add the milk, vanilla, yoghurt and oil and whisk some more.
- 4. Pour the egg mix into the flour mix and add the mashed banana. Stir to combine (don’t beat).
- 5. Divide between the cases, top with the crumble mix, then bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool down *thoroughly* in their cases.
Tips and Tweaks
- The only thing to watch is that they will stick to the muffin papers unless they’ve totally settled and cooled down for a good few hours. Besides the lack of butter / marg and a serious cut back on sugar, these also contain two lots of fruit, so a great little lunchbox idea too.