Pumpkin Soup5 minutes 6
- 750g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 litre water
- 2 or 3 cubes chicken stock, crumbled (taste as you go)
- 250ml Co-op double cream
- Add ground nutmeg to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste/ if required or leave until served as each person can add their own
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- Place pumpkin, carrots and onions in a baking dish or roasting tin. Drizzle with vegetable oil.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes, until soft but not blackened.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and crumbled stock cubes to the boil. Cook potato in simmering water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Combine potato and water with roasted vegetables and puree in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth. Return to pan over low heat and stir in cream, nutmeg, pepper and salt. Heat gently; serve.
Tips and Tweaks
- Butternut squash can be used instead of pumpkin
- This can be frozen into lunchtime portions
- Coconut milk can be used instead of cream.
- Add rosemary when baking the veg for added flavour.