Mothers Day Cupcakes25 minutes prep time 12 cupcakes
- 175g softened butter or margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 175g Co-op self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the vanilla essence and add the eggs - whizz again to make a yellow batter.
- Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stop once in the middle of this and scrape the sides down using a spatula. The longer mixing time enables air to get into the mixture which will make it lighter. Pour into fairy or cupcake cases.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They will be perfect when they bounce back to the touch and the top still looks slightly sticky. This will ensure they keep their moisture.
- Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool, then decorate as you wish.
- Top with buttercream, fondant icing or just eat plain!!